Continuing education programs provided by SCKLS are instrumental to achieving the goals and objectives of the System. Providing services, aiding in professional development and encouraging resource sharing all require various degrees of continuing education. SCKLS member librarians, trustees, Friends and volunteers can all participate in a wide range of workshops and training programs which foster a culture of continuous learning. Continuing education programs are offered for public, academic, school and special library members as well as public library trustees and Friends of libraries.
The full-time Member Library Services Coordinator, with the assistance of SCKLS consultants and staff, is responsible for the development and implementation of the SCKLS continuing education program.
Continuing Education Services
· Workshops and training days
o CE calendar
o State Library of Kansas web site
· Orientation and training for librarians new to SCKLS
· Orientation and training for library staff
· Orientation and training for public library trustees
· Orientation and training for the Kansas State Library Card.
· Assistance with the weeding of System members’ collections
· Provide a professional development collection with an online catalog
· Support and encourage System member’s staff training days at the SCKLS Office
· Coordinates Continuing Education Grants for member librarians, staff and public library trustees
· Coordinates Library Programming Grants for member libraries
· Supervision of the Rotating Book Service
· Collection Management and Weeding
· Customer Service Training & Assessments
· Professional support to System members